The United States is deploying a powerful naval and air strike presence in the Middle East, a move that could signal preparations for a large-scale attack against Iran.
Reports by CNN and CBS News said US armed forces could begin striking Iran as early as the weekend if ordered by US President Donald Trump.
Trump, who had already approved air strikes on Iran in June 2025, continues to warn Tehran that military intervention remains possible if ongoing talks fail to secure an agreement on the Islamic Republic’s nuclear programme. He also withdrew the US from the 2015 international nuclear deal during his first term.
Growing military build-up
Analysts say the presence of such firepower in the region creates its own momentum and may prove difficult to halt.
Washington continues to send warships and military aircraft to the Middle East in large numbers. Tens of thousands of troops are now stationed at bases across the region, some of which could become vulnerable in the event of Iranian retaliation.
At sea, US forces have deployed at least thirteen warships, including the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, nine destroyers and three light frigates, according to a US official. Additional vessels are heading towards the region.
The world’s largest aircraft carrier, USS Gerald Ford, is sailing through the Atlantic from the Caribbean towards the Gulf under Trump’s orders issued in mid-February. Its strike group includes three destroyers.
Simultaneous deployment of two US aircraft carriers in the Middle East is rare. The last time this occurred was in June, when Trump ordered strikes on three key Iranian nuclear facilities during Israel’s 12-day war against the Islamic Republic.
Air power and surveillance
US forces have also moved a large fleet of aircraft either into the Middle East or to nearby bases within operational range, according to information and data from FlightRadar24.
The deployment includes stealth F-22 fighters, F-15 and F-16 multirole aircraft, surveillance and command-and-control E-3 Sentry planes, transport aircraft and aerial refuelling tankers.
Protests, threats and diplomacy
Trump intensified warnings following the violent suppression of mass protests in Iran in January, where human rights organisations say thousands were killed.
In late January he announced that an “armada” was heading to the Gulf. Last week he warned Tehran it would face “traumatic” consequences if it failed to reach an agreement, openly raising the possibility of regime change for the first time while still leaving room for diplomacy.
Indirect talks between Iran and the United States resumed on 6 February in Muscat, the capital of Oman, after escalating threats between the two sides.
A second round of negotiations took place near Geneva on Tuesday. Tehran said it had agreed with Washington on a set of general guidelines towards a deal, but US Vice-President JD Vance noted that Iran had not accepted certain US red lines.
The two sides remain “very far apart on some issues”, White House spokesperson Karoline Leavitt said on Wednesday, insisting Iran should finalise an agreement and arguing there are strong reasons for possible US military action.
Iran missile notice and drills
Iran issued a NOTAM aviation notice on Thursday for planned missile launches in southern areas of the country between 05:30 and 15:30 Greek time, according to the US Federal Aviation Administration.
Tehran also conducted naval exercises in the Strait of Hormuz on Monday and plans joint drills with Russia on Thursday in the Sea of Oman and the northern Indian Ocean.
The notice comes amid heightened US Iran tensions and Washington’s continued military deployment near Iranian territory, while US officials weigh whether to continue dialogue or shift to other options.
Also read: Mass US air deployment towards the Middle East
For more videos and updates, check out our YouTube channel


