Trump warns Iran as peace talks stall

Date:

Trump says “time is of the essence”

US President Donald Trump has warned Iran the “clock is ticking” as talks to bring the war to an end have stalled.

“They better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them,” he wrote on his Truth Social platform. “TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!”

The message came as the president spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday, the Times of Israel reported, citing Netanyahu’s office.

Iran says talks are continuing

On Monday Iran said it had responded to the latest US proposal and that exchanges with Washington were continuing through Pakistani mediators.

“As we announced yesterday, our concerns were conveyed to the American side,” the country’s foreign ministry spokesperson said at a media briefing, AFP reported.

Iranian media earlier reported the US had failed to make any concrete concessions to Tehran, with the semi-official Mehr news agency saying a lack of compromise would lead to an “impasse in the negotiations”.

Trump’s message echoed his threat that a “whole civilisation” would die unless Iran agreed to a deal to end the war, shortly before the ceasefire was announced in early April.

Disputes over ceasefire demands

The president warned earlier this week that the truce was on “massive life support” after rejecting Tehran’s demands, labelling them “totally unacceptable”. Esmail Baghaei, an Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson, then insisted they were “responsible” and “generous”.

According to Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency, the Iranian demands included an immediate end to the war on all fronts- including Israeli attacks against Iran-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon- a halt to the US naval blockade of Iranian ports, and guarantees of no further attacks on Iran.

The demands also reportedly included compensation for war damage and recognition of Iranian sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency said Washington had responded with five conditions.

These reportedly included a demand that Iran keep only one nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the US.

Nuclear programme remains key sticking point

Trump suggested on Friday that he would accept a 20-year suspension by Iran of its nuclear programme- a major sticking point between the two countries- appearing to signal a shift away from demanding a complete end to the programme.

Israeli and US forces began large-scale air strikes on Iran on 28 February. The ceasefire intended to facilitate negotiations has largely held despite occasional exchanges of fire.

Iran has also continued to control the Strait of Hormuz, effectively closing the vital waterway through which around 20% of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes.

The move, which Iran says is retaliation for US and Israeli attacks, has pushed global oil prices higher.

The US has meanwhile continued enforcing a blockade of Iranian ports in an effort to pressure Tehran into accepting its terms.

Pakistan has continued acting as a mediator between Washington and Tehran, although both sides still appear far apart.

Source: BBC


Also read: Tourist arrivals fall 28% in April as war impact grows
For more videos and updates, check out our YouTube channel

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Cyprus moves closer to Schengen, says European Commission

The European Commission released on Monday its fifth State...

ON THIS DAY: Peter Carl Fabergé is born (1846)

Early life and family background Peter Carl Fabergé was born...

Strike over high fuel prices paralyses transport in Kenya

Thousands of commuters in Kenya have been left stranded...

At least six Americans exposed to Ebola during DR Congo outbreak

An Ebola outbreak in DR Congo has raised international...