Air raid warning issued in Vilnius
Lithuania issued an air raid warning on Wednesday, urging citizens to seek shelter immediately, while authorities temporarily suspended operations at the airport in the capital, Vilnius, amid fears of a drone entering the country’s airspace.
The Lithuanian drone alert prompted emergency messages to residents, warning them to move to shelters or safe locations and await further instructions from authorities.
NATO aircraft deployed
Lithuanian Defence Minister officials said the suspected drone had initially been heading toward Lentvaris, near Vilnius, before changing direction. According to authorities, NATO military aircraft were deployed to track and pursue the object.
Reports from the national news agency stated that both the country’s President and Prime Minister were taken to shelters during the incident. The Lithuanian military later announced that the alert had been lifted and residents could safely leave shelters.
Drone reportedly came from Belarus
Lithuania’s National Crisis Management Centre said the warning was issued after a drone was spotted in neighbouring Belarus flying toward Lithuanian territory. Officials noted that the origin of the drone had not yet been confirmed.
The Defence Ministry also confirmed the temporary closure of Vilnius airport through an emergency notification sent directly to mobile phones in the area.
Regional tensions remain high
The drone alert in Lithuania came a day after Estonia reported that a NATO fighter jet had shot down a suspected Ukrainian drone over Estonian territory.
The latest incidents highlight growing concerns over airspace security in the Baltic region amid ongoing military tensions linked to the war between Ukraine and Russia.
Also read: Russian official warns of rising risk of NATO–Russia direct confrontation
For more videos and updates, check out our YouTube channel


