We must take advantage of the ongoing mobility in the Cyprus issue, always within the framework of international law, Foreign Minister, Constantinos Kombos, said on Friday, speaking before the Parliamentary Finance Committee during the presentation of the Foreign Ministry’s budget for 2025, while also answering questions from MPs on the Cyprus issue, regional and international developments.
The MPs of the Committee raised the Cyprus issue and the current developments with Kombos responding that “our side must continue the mobility regardless of the attitude of the other side and the key lies clearly with Ankara”. He added that despite the thaw in Greek-Turkish relations, there is no change in Turkey’s stance on controversial issues such as the Greek-Turkish relations and Cyprus issue. Kombos indicated that there is also the Euro-Turkish aspect that should be considered, noting that in this regard there are, among others, the decisions of the European Council.
“There is certainly a mobility, which has its significance, and we must do everything we can to exploit it always within the framework of international law and not outside of it,” he stated.
In his statements after the end of the discussion at the Committee, Kombos noted that the center line always pertains to the Cyprus issue, which he described as an “existential issue”, noting that it is addressed on the basis of two parameters. “On the one hand, preventing the attempt to upgrade the illegal secessionist entity and the occupying power in various international forums and at the bilateral level, and on the other hand, it concerns the efforts to resolve the Cyprus issue”, he mentioned. He added also that there is a mobility that has been created in recent times, which concerns the personal involvement of the UN Secretary General.
“We want to contribute to this in every possible way from our side, under one basic condition”, that any approach lies within the “framework set by the United Nations Security Council” he said.
On the issue of Ukraine, the Minister reiterated that this situation can easily be resolved – and this is the EU’s position – through the withdrawal of Russia from Ukrainian territory.
Asked to assess whether there will be a change in Cyprus-US relations after the election of Trump, Kombos replied that the foreign policy of countries like the US is not formed based on a series of circumstances, but there is a depth and a strategic mindset and planning.
“We have proven that the Republic of Cyprus is a reliable and predictable partner, whether it was on Ukraine or on a number of issues in our region,” he said, adding that relations have also been strengthened on the security level “and we will continue to do that and we will try to do that.”
Kombos stated that in terms of the visa waiver and arms embargo “we hope that very soon we will have some developments and announcements.”
Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.
Also: FM Kombos and Borrell discuss Middle East and Cyprus issue in Nicosia
Source: CNA/ZSO/AGK