At least six Americans exposed to Ebola during DR Congo outbreak

Date:

An Ebola outbreak in DR Congo has raised international concern after health authorities confirmed dozens of suspected cases, multiple deaths, and possible exposure of US citizens during ongoing containment efforts.

WHO declares international health emergency

The World Health Organization has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo a public health emergency of international concern, warning of potential wider regional spread.

Health officials report around 350 suspected cases and 91 deaths linked to the outbreak, which continues to evolve in eastern DR Congo’s Ituri province.

US citizens among those exposed

Sources told CBS News that at least six Americans may have been exposed to the virus.

One individual is reportedly showing symptoms, while three others are considered high-risk contacts. The total number of infections among US citizens has not been confirmed.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it is supporting the safe withdrawal of a small group of Americans from the affected region, while stressing that the overall risk to the United States remains low.

Virus strain and regional cases

The current outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which no approved vaccines or specific treatments are available.

Uganda has also reported two confirmed cases and one death, according to US health authorities, raising concerns about cross-border transmission.

International response and travel warnings

The US has issued a Level 4 travel advisory, warning against all travel to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Health agencies are reportedly preparing evacuation and quarantine arrangements for exposed individuals, with possible relocation to secure facilities abroad under consideration.

The WHO has warned that the outbreak could expand significantly if containment measures fail, though it does not currently meet pandemic criteria.

Lessons from past outbreaks

Ebola previously caused a major epidemic between 2014 and 2016 in West Africa, infecting more than 28,600 people and killing over 11,000.

Authorities stress that unsafe burial practices played a major role in transmission during earlier outbreaks, and have reiterated the importance of strict public health protocols.

Neighbouring countries including Rwanda and Nigeria have increased surveillance and border screening as a precaution.

Health experts continue to urge preparedness measures, including monitoring, early detection and safe handling of suspected cases.


Also read: DR Congo Ebola outbreak kills 65 in eastern Ituri province
For more videos and updates, check out our YouTube channel

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Cyprus moves closer to Schengen, says European Commission

The European Commission released on Monday its fifth State...

ON THIS DAY: Peter Carl Fabergé is born (1846)

Early life and family background Peter Carl Fabergé was born...

Trump warns Iran as peace talks stall

Trump says “time is of the essence” US President Donald...

Strike over high fuel prices paralyses transport in Kenya

Thousands of commuters in Kenya have been left stranded...