The war between Russia and Ukraine intensified on Thursday as both countries reported casualties following a series of drone strikes and artillery attacks across multiple regions.
Two people were killed in a Ukrainian drone attack on Russia’s Samara region, according to local governor Vyacheslav Fedorishchev, who said strikes hit the city of Syzran, around 1,000 kilometres from the Ukrainian border.
The area includes a major oil refinery and also saw reports of injuries.
Strikes in border regions
Further north, Russian authorities said three people were injured in drone attacks in and around Shebekino in the Belgorod region, which borders Ukraine.
At the same time, Ukrainian emergency services reported that two civilians were killed in Russian attacks in the Chernihiv region near the Russian border and in the southeastern Dnipropetrovsk region, with several others injured.
Diplomatic efforts continue amid conflict
Despite ongoing hostilities in the Russia-Ukraine war, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said there had been recent productive contacts with the United States aimed at restarting peace efforts.
Zelensky said Ukraine would be ready for renewed trilateral communication involving European partners in the coming weeks, while expressing hope that Russia would also participate in talks.
Nuclear drills involving Belarus
Meanwhile, Russia announced the delivery of nuclear-capable munitions to storage facilities in Belarus as part of large-scale nuclear exercises.
The Russian Defence Ministry said the drills included preparations for the Iskander-M mobile missile system, including loading procedures and simulated deployment to designated launch areas.
The developments come as tensions remain high with no breakthrough in diplomatic negotiations to end the conflict, which began with Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022.
Source: CNA
Also read: Iran reviewing new US proposal – Trump says situation is “on the edge”
For more videos and updates, check out our YouTube channel


