Iran reviewing new US proposal – Trump says situation is “on the edge”

Date:

Iran confirmed on Wednesday night that it has received and is reviewing the latest American proposal aimed at ending the conflict, while US President Donald Trump warned that the situation is nearing a critical point between diplomacy and renewed warfare.

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told Iranian state television that Tehran had received Washington’s latest position through Pakistan, which has taken on a mediation role alongside other governments.

“We received the views of the American side and are currently examining them,” Baghaei said, while stressing Iran’s “deep distrust” towards Washington.

He reiterated Tehran’s demands, including the release of frozen Iranian assets abroad and an end to the US blockade of Iranian ports.

The remarks followed a second visit to Tehran within days by Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsen Naqvi.

Trump warns situation at tipping point

Speaking to reporters at Andrews Air Force Base near Washington, Trump said he remained open to diplomacy but warned the situation was extremely delicate.

“We’ll see what happens. Either we’ll reach an agreement, or we’ll take slightly tougher measures. But I hope we won’t get there,” he said.

Trump added that negotiations could move rapidly if the US received what he described as “100% satisfactory” responses from Tehran.

The US President also argued that a deal would save Iran “a lot of time, energy and lives” and could be reached “within days”.

Oil prices fall on hopes of progress

Hopes for diplomatic progress pushed oil prices lower, with Brent crude dropping by more than 5% to $105.02 per barrel.

European and US stock markets also closed significantly higher amid optimism that tensions may ease.

At the same time, reports by Axios and The Wall Street Journal claimed Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a tense conversation earlier this week over proposals to end the war.

According to the reports, Netanyahu reacted angrily after the discussion.

Iran rejects ultimatums

Earlier this week, Trump gave Tehran what he described as a “two or three day” deadline to reach an agreement. Iran rejected the ultimatum.

Iranian Parliament Speaker and senior negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf insisted that Iran would never yield to intimidation and warned that Tehran was strengthening preparations to respond forcefully to any future attacks.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards also warned that if the conflict resumed, it would spread “far beyond the region”.

Strait of Hormuz remains critical concern

The war, which erupted following US and Israeli strikes on Tehran on 28 February, has already caused thousands of deaths, mainly in Iran and Lebanon, where the Iran-backed Hezbollah operates.

The conflict has also shaken the global economy by driving up oil prices and disrupting supply chains due to Iran’s blockade of the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran recently formalised the creation of an authority responsible for overseeing maritime traffic through the strategic waterway and collecting tolls.

Meanwhile, the Israeli military said it had raised its level of alert to maximum readiness and was prepared for “any development”.


Also read: Global diplomacy on display after Xi hosts Trump and then Putin
For more videos and updates, check out our YouTube channel

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Gaza aid boat Vivy Sabre remains in Paphos harbour

The Gaza aid boat Vivy Sabre remains anchored at the harbour...

Famagusta district: Two arrests in 24 hours over rape cases

The Famagusta CID (TAE) is investigating two separate rape...

Deal signed for Cyprus gas link with Egypt, ExxonMobil, QatarEnergy

Energy cooperation agreement signed in Egypt A new memorandum of...

President engages with business leaders in Mumbai

Official visit to India President of the Republic Nikos Christodoulides...