Trump says Gulf states urged pause in planned attack of Iran

Date:

Trump says Iran attack was paused

US President Donald Trump has said he is holding off a military attack on Iran planned for Tuesday at the request of Gulf states as “serious negotiations are now taking place”.

In a post on Truth Social, he said he had been asked to delay the strike by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.

Trump said he had been informed a deal would be reached that would be “very acceptable” to the US, adding there would be “NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!”

However, he warned the US remained ready to “go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice” if negotiations failed.

A senior Iranian military commander responded by warning the US not to make “strategic mistakes and miscalculations again”.

War grows increasingly unpopular

Trump’s latest comments come as polling shows the conflict is becoming increasingly unpopular among US voters.

According to a New York Times/Siena poll published Monday, 64% of voters believe it was the wrong decision to go to war with Iran.

The poll also found that just 37% of voters approve of Trump’s performance as president, underlining growing political pressure ahead of the US midterm elections.

Israeli and US forces began large-scale air strikes on Iran on 28 February, while Tehran retaliated with drones and missiles targeting Israel and US-linked sites across the Gulf region.

Gulf states fear wider escalation

A key concern among Gulf Arab states remains the possibility of Iranian retaliation following any further US attacks.

Iran is believed to retain large numbers of drones and missiles capable of targeting neighbouring states, airports, petrochemical facilities, and desalination plants that provide drinking water across the Gulf.

Speaking to reporters later, Trump described the latest diplomatic developments as “very positive”, though he cautioned there was no guarantee of success.

“We’ve had periods of time where we thought we were getting close to making a deal, and it didn’t work out. But this is a little bit different,” he said.

Trump added there appeared to be “a very good chance” of reaching an agreement with Tehran, saying: “If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I would be very happy.”

Strait of Hormuz remains closed

A ceasefire agreed in April to facilitate negotiations has largely held despite occasional exchanges of fire.

Iran has continued to control the Strait of Hormuz, effectively shutting the strategic waterway through which roughly 20% of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes.

Iran says the move is retaliation for US and Israeli attacks, while global oil prices have surged as a result.

The US has meanwhile maintained a blockade of Iranian ports in an effort to pressure Tehran into accepting its demands.

Disputes continue over nuclear programme

Iran said Monday it had responded to the latest US proposal, with talks continuing through Pakistani mediators.

Iranian media earlier reported Washington had failed to offer meaningful concessions.

On Sunday, Trump warned that “the clock is ticking” for Iran and said the country “better get moving, FAST”.

Several days earlier, he described the ceasefire as being on “massive life support” after rejecting Iranian demands as “totally unacceptable”.

Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei insisted Tehran’s demands were “responsible” and “generous”.

According to Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency, Tehran’s conditions included an end to the war on all fronts, a halt to the US naval blockade of Iranian ports, guarantees against future attacks and recognition of Iranian sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran also reportedly demanded compensation for war damage.

Iranian media said Washington responded with five conditions, including limiting Iran to one nuclear site and transferring its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the US.

Trump suggested on Friday he would accept a 20-year suspension of Iran’s nuclear programme, appearing to signal a shift away from demanding its complete dismantling.

The US and its European allies accuse Iran of seeking nuclear weapons capability through uranium enrichment, while Tehran insists its nuclear programme is solely for peaceful purposes.

Source: BBC


Also read: President calls EU response to Turkish “Blue Homeland” doctrine
For more videos and updates, check out our YouTube channel

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

DR Congo cancels World Cup training camp over Ebola

The Democratic Republic of Congo has cancelled its pre-World...

Rise in sexually transmitted infections in Europe

The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)...

Four killed in cross-border attacks between Russia and Ukraine

The war between Russia and Ukraine intensified on Thursday...

EasyJet says summer flights safe from jet fuel shortages

The boss of EasyJet has said holidaymakers should not...