Trump claims he could seize oil and seal deal with Iran

Date:

Trump raises prospect of seizing Iranian oil

US President Donald Trump has said he would consider taking control of Iran’s oil resources, escalating rhetoric amid ongoing tensions with Tehran.

In an interview with the Financial Times, Trump stated that his “preference would be to take the oil,” while weighing options that could include targeting Kharg Island- a critical hub that handles around 90% of Iran’s oil exports.

He suggested such a move could mirror past US ambitions in Venezuela following developments involving leader Nicolás Maduro.

Trump also indicated that any such operation could require a prolonged US presence in the region.

“Maybe we take Kharg Island, maybe we don’t. We have a lot of options,” he said, adding that remaining on the island for some time would likely be necessary.

Kharg Island has long been central to Iran’s economy and energy exports. Earlier this month, US Central Command confirmed strikes on multiple military targets there, including missile storage sites and naval facilities.

Claims of progress on US-Iran plan

Alongside his comments on oil, Trump said Iran has agreed to most elements of a proposed 15-point US plan aimed at ending the conflict.

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, he said Tehran had responded positively to the majority of the demands.

“They gave us most of the points. Why wouldn’t they?” Trump said, adding that further conditions could still be introduced.

According to Trump, Iran has also provided shipments of oil as a gesture of goodwill, with multiple tanker loads expected to be delivered.

However, Iranian officials have previously signaled caution. Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi acknowledged indirect communications but expressed skepticism over Washington’s approach.

The reported US framework is believed to include commitments from Iran to abandon nuclear weapons development, transfer enriched uranium, limit defense capabilities, halt regional proxy activities, and reopen the Strait of Hormuz.

Controversial remarks on regime change

Trump further claimed that Iran has effectively undergone “regime change” during the conflict, citing the deaths of senior leadership figures.

Recent strikes have reportedly killed several high-ranking officials, including influential political figures, while Mojtaba Khamenei has assumed a leadership role following the death of his father.

Trump argued that the current leadership represents a shift from previous power structures and described the new figures as “very reasonable.”

Despite these claims, no formal confirmation of regime change has been acknowledged by Iranian authorities.


Also read: “No Kings!”: thousands of protests nationwide against Trump
For more videos and updates, check out our YouTube channel

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Markets react to US-Iran diplomatic signals; oil prices fall

Global markets moved unevenly on Tuesday, with equities showing...

President calls EU response to Turkish “Blue Homeland” doctrine

Christodoulides warns of regional implications President Nikos Christodoulides has called...

Cabinet decides on “Kronos” gas field and school breakfast initiative

Major energy decision for Cyprus natural gas Kronos The Cypriot...

Cyprus ranks 10th in Europe for hookah use among students

Cyprus ranks tenth in Europe in terms of hookah...