Ongoing talks for fate of Hamas fighters trapped in Gaza tunnels

Date:

Negotiations continue for the fate of Hamas fighters trapped for weeks in underground tunnels in the Gaza Strip, in an area under Israeli control, several well-informed sources told AFP.

Talks with mediators (Egypt, Turkey, Qatar) and the US aim to resolve the crisis, a senior Hamas official said on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the issue.

The issue was discussed in Egypt this week with intelligence chief Hassan Rasan, a Palestinian source confirmed.

Hamas has made major efforts with mediators in Egypt, Qatar, Turkey and the US to lift the siege and allow the fighters to return home, the source added.

A mediator from one country confirmed the US, Qatar, Egypt and Turkey are working on a compromise for the fighters to leave tunnels behind the “Yellow Line” near Rafah in southern Gaza.

The proposal offers safe passage to non-Israeli controlled areas to prevent the issue from becoming a ceasefire flashpoint.

Hamas estimates 60-80 fighters, mostly from the Al-Qassam Brigades (armed wing), remain in the tunnels.

US envoy Steve Witkoff mentioned 200 trapped fighters in early November, though unconfirmed.

Ceasefire context

The fighters became trapped when the 10 October 2025 ceasefire took effect, placing their location behind Israeli lines in eastern Rafah.

Hamas publicly acknowledged the situation for the first time on Wednesday, accusing Israel of ceasefire violations through “pursuit, liquidation and arrest” of besieged fighters in Rafah tunnels.

Israeli media report 100-200 militants remain in the network, with the IDF killing over 20 and capturing eight who tried to flee last week.

Broader challenges

The crisis complicates ceasefire phase two, which includes Hamas disarmament, international security force deployment and further Israeli withdrawal.

US officials see it as a potential model for broader disarmament, but Israel demands full surrender and rejects unconditional passage.

Hamas insists fighters will not surrender and demands safe return.

Recent IDF attacks in Rafah killed over 150 Palestinians after incidents blamed on these cells, threatening the truce.


Read also: Hamas demands exit for trapped fighters in Gaza tunnels

For more videos and updates, check out our YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/@sigmaliveen.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Deadly Hong Kong fire: 128 killed, 200 missing – footage shows renovation workers smoking hours earlier

Hong Kong Security Minister Chris Tang announced Friday that...

Death toll rises to 13 in Israeli raid on Syrian village

Israeli forces killed 13 people, including women and children,...

6.6-magnitude quake hits off Simeulue Island, Indonesia

A strong earthquake measuring 6.6 on the Richter scale...

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom succumbs to wounds

One of the two National Guard members wounded by...