Hamas leaders met US President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and Middle East envoy Jared Kushner in Egypt as Washington seeks to advance a Gaza peace plan that Israel has rejected.
A Palestinian source told Al Jazeera on Sunday that Hamas briefed Kushner on alleged Israeli ceasefire violations in Gaza. The source also said Kushner told Hamas that the US opposes plans to displace Gaza’s residents.
Another official familiar with the talks said the meeting in Alamein aimed to translate the roadmap’s commitments into “concrete, verifiable steps”.
Hamas urged to give up governing role
The official said the proposed measures would include maintaining the ceasefire and transferring governing responsibilities in Gaza to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza.
The source also said Hamas would have no role in the future administration of Gaza and would have to relinquish its governing authority, weapons and military infrastructure.
Hamas political leader Khalil al-Hayya attended the talks.
Egyptian intelligence chief Hassan Rashad, Qatari diplomat Ali Al Thawadi and a senior Turkish official were also present, according to Axios. Board of Peace envoy Nickolay Mladenov and former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair, who is also a member of the board, joined Kushner.
Hamas says ceasefire commitments were not met
In a statement on Sunday, Hamas said it reaffirmed its acceptance of the roadmap for the second phase of Trump’s plan during the meeting with representatives of the mediators and guarantors of the Gaza ceasefire agreement.
Hamas said it had complied with the first phase of the ceasefire, while accusing Israel of failing to implement its commitments and escalating military operations.
The group called on mediators and the Board of Peace to pressure Israel to fulfil its obligations, halt violations and killings, and agree to a timetable for implementing the second phase of the roadmap.
The US has historically refused direct contact with Hamas, which it designates as a terrorist organisation. The Trump administration has nevertheless pursued direct engagement as part of efforts to end the Gaza conflict.
Al-Hayya also held separate talks with Egypt’s Rashad on Sunday, according to Reuters.
Kushner meets Egypt’s president
Following his meeting with Hamas, Kushner met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.
The Egyptian presidency said the two discussed Gaza as well as Egypt-US relations. El-Sisi highlighted the strategic partnership between the two countries and their cooperation on shared interests.
Kushner praised coordination with Egypt and expressed appreciation for el-Sisi’s role in promoting regional peace and stability.
Israel rejects roadmap
On Sunday, the foreign ministers of Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Jordan, Indonesia, Pakistan, Turkey and Saudi Arabia condemned Israel’s rejection of the roadmap.
The eight countries described the move as a direct challenge to US-led peace efforts and called on Washington to intervene.
A senior Israeli official said Kushner and Mladenov were scheduled to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday.
The official said Israel was concerned about a US demand to end targeted killings of Hamas fighters in Gaza.
Trump announced the roadmap last month, describing it as a breakthrough in efforts to end the war. The plan calls for an immediate halt to military operations, Hamas disarmament as Israeli forces withdraw, and the reconstruction of Gaza under a new civilian Palestinian administration.
Hamas said it had accepted the plan to avoid a return to war but stressed that implementation depended on Israel fulfilling its commitments, including withdrawing forces and halting attacks.
Israeli strikes continue
Israel has resumed air strikes on Gaza in recent days after scaling back operations earlier this month, despite an October 2025 ceasefire.
Medics said at least five Palestinians were injured on Sunday when an Israeli strike hit a tent encampment in Khan Younis. A separate air strike on an apartment in the Nuseirat refugee camp in central Gaza also wounded several people.
According to Palestinian official sources cited by Al Jazeera, more than 1,250 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since the ceasefire took effect, while the death toll since Israel began its war in October 2023 has surpassed 73,300.
Also read:
For more videos and updates, check out our YouTube channel


