Russia open to new ideas for peace in Ukraine

Date:

Russia is open to hearing new proposals on how to reach a settlement in the conflict in Ukraine, Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Friday, but insisted that any proposals must reflect what Moscow calls the “realities on the ground”.

In an interview with news website News.ru, Ryabkov said the United States had shown a willingness for “constructive dialogue” and an “understanding of Russia’s position”.

He said the key question now was how far Washington could influence decisions by the Ukrainian government and its European supporters, whom he accused of continuing to seek Russia’s “strategic defeat”.

Moscow and Washington talks have stalled

Russia-Ukraine talks have largely stalled amid the war involving Iran.

The Kremlin said on Thursday that it had not received information about a possible new visit to Moscow by US presidential envoys Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff, who have previously led negotiations with Russia.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said last month that Washington remained committed to helping end the war after meeting Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Manila.

However, Rubio warned that no quick agreement was in sight and said the United States was trying to “find a middle ground”.

Ryabkov said Russia was prepared to consider Rubio’s new ideas and continue dialogue with Washington.

“The Russian Federation is ready to hear any reasonable proposals and ideas that align with the goals set by the Russian President and correspond to the ‘realities on the ground’,” he said.

Russia controls around one-fifth of Ukraine

After almost four and a half years of war, Russia controls around one-fifth of Ukraine’s internationally recognised territory.

Moscow has repeatedly said it is open to negotiations but maintains that any talks must recognise what it describes as the “new realities on the ground”.

Russia also seeks nuclear dialogue

Ryabkov also said Russia wants talks with the United States on nuclear weapons to continue.

The New START nuclear treaty expired in February, leaving the world’s two largest nuclear powers without binding limits on their strategic arsenals for the first time in more than half a century.

Moscow has said it will continue observing the treaty’s limits on missiles and nuclear warheads as long as Washington does the same.

“We remain open in the future to finding political and diplomatic ways to stabilise this area,” Ryabkov said.


Also read: Russia threatens UK over drones supplied to Ukraine
For more videos and updates, check out our YouTube channel

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Panama Canal restrictions tighten as El Niño hits

Panama Canal's operator is to cut the number of...

Serious road crash leaves 14-year-old e-scooter rider injured

A serious crash occurred in Trachoni shortly after midnight...

145 tonnes of invasive fish caught in Cyprus waters over two years

Almost 145 tonnes of silver-cheeked toadfish have been caught...

Wave of complaints over sewage on Limassol beaches

New complaints about sea pollution in the Limassol district,...